Ooooh, the pretty butterflies! This project turned out way better than I expected. A friend of Rex and Elle was celebrating her 4th birthday with a butterfly themed party. So I thought I would whip up some cute butterfly throw pillows. I surfed Pinterest for some inspiration and happened upon these two:
While I love the sophisticated colors of the first pillow, I thought the fun colors of the second pillow would be perfect for a little girl’s bedroom. Also, I loved the alternating butterfly shapes of the second pillow.
So, this is what I did:
1) Found two butterfly stencils/shapes using Google image search.
2) Printed them out, adjusting their size with my printer program settings.
3) Took both butterfly shapes and cut 1 of each shape from 9 different colors of felt (I used my Walmart Craft Felts pack). I then had 18 butterflies. I was regretting my complicated butterfly shape while cutting them, but loved the final result. But the cutting part would have been a lot easier with a simpler butterfly shape.
4) Pinned them to the piece of fabric that would become the front of the pillow. Sewed them in place.
5) Completed the throw pillow using an overlap closure.
If you would like a more detailed tutorial, Ms. Disney did a great job at Ruffles and Stuff.