So this week’s Project Run and Play challenge was to transform a dress shirt into something wearable for a child. A few months ago I had purchased Burda 9491, and I thought I might try to make a romper based off that pattern. The original pattern has cap sleeves and a pleated front yoke; you can see a lovely interpretation here.
I changed the romper to include two layered ruffled sleeves and ruffles going down the front next to the buttons. I also made the shorts a little shorter and reduced the circumference of the leg bands so the shorts are a little puffier. I’m not a huge fan of the pattern’s elastic waist band (a little too 1970s Ralph Furley reminiscent) and would probably do it differently if I made this again. But I made a little sash and it tied everything together nicely and covered the waistband.