On Saturday I was checking out the local Salvation Army, looking for old clothes that could be re-purposed in sewing projects. They were having a great sale on clothes: 50 cents for any children’s clothes item (they have wagon loads full of barely used great clothes: Gymboree, GAP, Old Navy etc…). I was so sad that there was a plethora of 3T boys clothes and my boy is now 4T. Boo! And I’m not allowed to buy any more girls clothes, since we have so many hand-me-downs…but I did allow myself to get the cutest white tights with gold dots on them in size 18m. I did manage to get a pair swim trucks (Spiderman, score!) and two shirts for Rex too. And adult clothing was $1 an item…I found 4 pairs of shorts that looked like they would fit me (upon trying them on at home, it turns out that only two fit me…so looks like I paid $2 a pair, instead of $1…but that’s okay…). Funnily enough, I came away empty handed for my original intent of finding clothes I could cut up and sew into other projects.
And then I happened upon a beautiful wooden chair with arms that was suffering from “bank lobby circa 1970″ upholstery. It was terrifically sturdy and well-made and had nice structural detailing. And it was only $13! Sold!
This evening I decided to tackle the reupholstering of the chair with some upholstery fabric I’d purchased from Fabric Guru over a year ago…one of those fabric stockpile/stash pieces that I knew would come in handy one day. Fabric Guru has a great selection of upholstery fabric at sometimes ridiculously low prices…I can’t remember what I paid for the black and white fabric, but I know another piece I got was 8 yards for $15. And you pay one flat rate of $5 for shipping. This black and white woven fabric was really interesting, because I can use either the front or back of the fabric, one side is white with black flowers, and the other black with white flowers. I chose the black with white flowers for upholstering the chair.
At first I had ambitions of removing the original fabric, and using it as a pattern to cover the cushion again with the same piping on the edge. But then I decided I would rather have a less than one hour project with satisfactory results, rather than a possibly never-ending project with spectacular results.
So I just removed the seat cushions and covered the old cushions with the new fabric using my handy-dandy upholstery stapler.
And it turns out that satisfactory is pretty darned close to spectacular in my opinion. Take that Crate and Barrel or other overpriced furniture store! It definitely taught me to look at used furniture with a different eye, it’s amazing what a coat of paint or change of upholstery can do.